Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Writing Steelers Nation

Journalist and author Jim Wexell is expanding his beat to Steelers Nation. Mr. Wexell will sample the best that the Burgh Diaspora has to offer over the next 6 weeks:

My mother asked if I was nervous. I hadn’t really looked at it that way … until she asked.

Casey Hampton asked if I was crazy. Now that’s getting a little warmer.

But I still needed something positive, so I asked Troy Polamalu.

“I think it sounds like a cool idea,” he said. Then cool it is.

So we’re moving forward with a crazy plan that’s apt to make me nervous: an RV adventure through Steeler Nation.

I can't think of a more qualified person to chronicle Steelers Nation ("America's REAL Team") than Mr. Wexell. He's been running a fansite for a number of years now, bearing witness to this community surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers. I've been reading his coverage of the Steelers since the late-1990s and with all due respect to Ed Bouchette, there isn't a better beat reporter in Pittsburgh.

I'll be following his journey closely on this blog and I hope you enjoy the stories he will tell.

No comments: