Friday, October 07, 2011

Stream Migration

I'm still mulling over whether or not I agree with the distinction. If you are interested in migration theory, then you might appreciate the discussion about stream migration. Right now, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the comments. Readers are offering up a variety of migrations to see if they qualify as a "stream". One that got my attention:

You may want to read the article “The Right Place” by Lee Eisenberg in the May 1981 issue of Esquire magazine, about how leading edge members of groups (dream-chasing scouts, he calls them) select the next hot place to migrate to, in this case Santa Fe New Mexico.

Dream-chasing scouts are the vanguard of Creative Class migration. They move to Portland, Oregon before anyone else knows it is cool. I would call it a "pioneer migration" and I'm sure there is some academic term that defines the concept.



There you have it, Rust Belt outmigration. Now I need to figure out if it is a "stream".

No comments: