Wednesday, November 23, 2011

US Talent Exports Growing

The United States is very good at importing talent. Exporting talent? Not so good. That's changing:

I can't say I was surprised when I heard that Indian startup entrepreneur Kunal Bahl was touring U.S. colleges on a hunt for MBA talent for his New Delhi-based digital commerce company. ...

... Some might fret over a U.S. brain drain and see the trend of graduates leaving the U.S. as another black mark against globalization. But the fact is the U.S. economy could benefit from the global seasoning that future business leaders are gaining by working abroad. "These guys may come back and probably will come back," said Bahl, who visited Stanford, Wharton, Columbia University and Northwestern University. "They'll add value to companies here."

As this trend snowballs, I expect hysteria to follow. Instead, we should be helping native graduates find their way to India or other rapidly developing countries. Working abroad is a wonderful way to develop personally.

It stands to reason that talent isn't relocating to India because US cities aren't cool enough or tolerant enough. Please, no more sticky place boondoggles. We move to improve. International migrants make great entrepreneurs. Exporting talent will spur innovation in the United States.

1 comment:

KT said...

Interesting take on out sourcing/off shoring.

I can tell you that with the internet this generation of US college and post-college age kids is quite adventuresome. I moved to Buenos Aires 10 years ago, and when I told people where I was going, they just sort of looked at me like "what?"

Now I can't go around the block to get a carton of milk without hearing someone speaking English.

But as for the essential argument, it is unique take. A friend of mine -- no reactionary isolationist -- has made the point that the US will "know things are not going well when people start going to China or India to make their fortunes.

Indeed, my company has offices in Asia, and I have seen very impressive resumes from people who studied in the US, lived there, and have now gone back.

But I think the overall point about the impact of greater international exposure is more or less on target.

When you live abroad you really do see the world differently, and can only help from a competitive stand point.