The Pittsburgh eds and meds industry has its Ph.D. in sabermetric demographics at Pacific Standard magazine.
Theme: Ironic demographics.
Subject Article: "Demographic Data Let Colleges Peer Into the Future."
Other Links: 1. "Replay: Is College Worth It?"
2. "Peter Thiel: We're in a Bubble and It's Not the Internet. It's Higher Education."
3. "Peter Thiel’s Graph of the Year."
4. "Economic Geography of Eds and Meds."
5. "Diverging Demography of Baltimore and Africa."
6. "More migration stats."
7. "Monroeville Zombies Museum Shuts Down."
Postscript: The Talent Economy is diverging. The Innovation Economy is converging. That means eds and meds are agglomerating in a few winning places. Tech is diffusing like manufacturing did before it. The cost of talent is too damn high.