Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Burgh Diaspora Migrating To Pacific Standard

Almost seven-years after I started, the Burgh Diaspora blog is at an end. I'm migrating from this virtual Little Pittsburgh to Santa Barbara, home of Pacific Standard magazine. My preoccupation with Pittsburgh brain drain has expanded to the more generic pursuit of economic development via migration. I spend more time thinking about San Antonio or Spain than Southwestern Pennsylvania.

I see the world through a Steel City lens, black and yellow-colored glasses. I will bring this perspective to Pacific Standard. You can follow my new blog here. I'm also on Twitter. I intend to keep posting here about the writing I am doing for the magazine. I will maintain this blog as an archive of my intellectual journey, an annotated bibliography of hyperlinks and thematic interests.

What I value most from this experience is my dialog with other bloggers. The conversations I've had in the realm of social media are much richer than any exchange I enjoyed as a graduate student. I hope this will continue at Pacific Standard. I start tomorrow (May 1st). See you on the Left Coast.

7 comments:

Done By Forty said...

Congratulations on the new opportunity. I'll certainly miss your writing here, which was always thoughtful, interesting, and brought me home.

Good luck.

Jim Russell said...

Thanks, Done By Forty. I hope you'll continue to read and follow me to Pacific Standard. Same writing, better platform and visibility.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write so much here. Look forward to your future writings.

-JoeP

Jim Russell said...

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words.

Tom Roland said...

I've enjoyed following your blog here, Jim. Looking forward to reading you on Pacific Standard.

Dave said...

This has been one of my favorite blogs and I've learned a lot reading it, so I'm sad to hear it's going, but at least you're going to keep blogging - I'll be following along. And congrats on the new gig.

Bryan Lauas said...

Good luck. I have enjoyed following your thought processes.

The ideas you've floated here have heavily influenced my own thinking and personal migration decisions this past year.

You've opened my mind to patterns I would not have otherwise recognized.

Thank you.